Artist Alley!!

Find out whats going on and what plans are in the works.
Ryaven
Staff Emeritus

Artist Alley!!

Post by Ryaven » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:59 pm

Okay folks,

For those of you who are interested, the rules, regulations, and form for Artist Alley should be up soon. So, please sign up once they're posted !^_^!

kali

Post by kali » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:09 pm

I was about to ask about that. I'll spread the word once the info is up.
Beware of Ninja
No Longer a Minion But Available For Grunt Work

bru
Site Admin

Post by bru » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:56 am

Yes. We must spread it like wild fire.
Setsu '07 -Con-Chair [n vice chair/treasurer.. yea]
'08 -Cosplay Judge
'09 - Judge/ Web
'10 - Judge / Web / Somehow still involved XDD
'11 - Moar Web / Old age is setting in...
'12 - Never gonna give you up
'13 - Never gonna let you down

kali

Post by kali » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:32 am

I've got a question about AA. Well two.

1. I'm lazy, is there going to be an online form or should I just buck up and mail the thing in?

2. "When you pay for a table it allots you one (1) pass into the convention"
I've already purchased a pass (way way way way way way back), could I transfer this to another person in my party?
Beware of Ninja
No Longer a Minion But Available For Grunt Work

mdm373

Post by mdm373 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:32 pm

I won't be able to post the online form for probably a week (1/19/2006) and so the issue then is that there is only one week past that before Con. I'd like to be amazingly optimistic and say I can get it churned out on Monday but I make no promises.

When registering for Artist's Alley Online (if and or when it goes up) you will have to pay for the space then much like pre-registering for the con via Paypal. You would need to submit a paper registration to have your table transferred.

kheleksul

Post by kheleksul » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Another question about the AA:
AA Rules wrote:Mass produced prints of original art depicting licensed characters.
Not allowed. (The original is, but NOT the prints.)
What if the work was done on the computer, as, with such works, no "originals" exist? The only way to sell such pieces are to print them.

mdm373

Post by mdm373 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 am

Artist's Alley Online Registration is now Available and can be found here http://www.setsucon.com/reg/alleyReg.html

^_^ Enjoy

bru
Site Admin

Post by bru » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:55 am

kheleksul wrote:Another question about the AA:
AA Rules wrote:Mass produced prints of original art depicting licensed characters.
What if the work was done on the computer, as, with such works, no "originals" exist? The only way to sell such pieces are to print them.
I believe that is more of you are selling hundreds of copies of this Naruto image you drew up. At that point, your art actually starts to compete with the industry and since the art features a licensed character you didn't get permissions for, it's infringemnet.
Setsu '07 -Con-Chair [n vice chair/treasurer.. yea]
'08 -Cosplay Judge
'09 - Judge/ Web
'10 - Judge / Web / Somehow still involved XDD
'11 - Moar Web / Old age is setting in...
'12 - Never gonna give you up
'13 - Never gonna let you down

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:54 pm

bru wrote:
kheleksul wrote:Another question about the AA:
I believe that is more of you are selling hundreds of copies of this Naruto image you drew up. At that point, your art actually starts to compete with the industry and since the art features a licensed character you didn't get permissions for, it's infringemnet.
The thing is we really don't feel like getting sued our first year. :P Espeacily when you're dealing with an anime as widespread as Naruto, you don't want to risk ticking off the actual owners.

Really the legalities of "fan art" are are very problematic because when copyright law was written, the concept of "fan art" didn't exist. While fan art is generaly considered a "derivitive work" today, and therefore the property of the person drawing it, the vauge nature of the law leaves open holes that a con our size doesn't have the time or resources to risk handling. You see, even derevitive work can't be distributed for profit unless it falls into the fair use category.

In other words, to ensure that both the con and the artist would be safe from the hand of the law, we'd have to individually review all the artwork being put up for sale to check if it was of origanal, unlicensed/uncopyrighted, or parodical in nature; which would make it legal to sell prints. :!:

Again, Setsucon is not capable of carrying out such operations. Next year or further on in the future, we may be able to make arrangements for these problems, but this is our first year, cut us some slack. :wink: