Live gaming events suggestions needed!

Event announcements and discussion
PlasmaFire
Staff Emeritus

Live gaming events suggestions needed!

Post by PlasmaFire » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:03 am

Hey everyone! If this is your first time here, welcome to the Setsucon forums! I am the gaming room head for Setsucon 2007, and I'm looking for suggestions for what are known as "live gaming events."

What are they? LGEs are gaming tournaments held on a stage-like platform where registrants compete in front of a large (arranged) public audience, instead of the usual small crowds huddled around TVs. This means the people watching may very likely play a role in determining who wins and loses the tournaments!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two ideas that have been thought up and mostly finalized so far are:

- A "Guitar Hero Idol" tournament, where one or two (the latter is co-op) will play a lyric-laden Guitar Hero I/II song, usually on the Easy or Medium difficulty, and simultaneously sing the lyrics in front of a microphone(s). Lyrics will be shown on a computer monitor alongside/on top of the the TV where the game is displayed (for assistance). At the end of the song, the competitor(s) is judged in front of a live panel of judges--perhaps including convention volunteers, registered audience members, and/or guests (!!!). The numerical score, combined with Guitar Hero's "Notes Hit" percentage and likely even the audience's response in the form of praise/dislike, will be tallied to determine a winner. Prizes will be awarded!

- A DDR freestyle tournament for experienced and new people alike, where one or two (the former is either single or doubles; the latter is two-player) will "freestyle" a Beginner or Easy-difficulty song in a Dance Dance Revolution-series game (or In the Groove).

What's freestyling? Well, take it this way: DDR does NOT teach a person how to dance; you've probably seen people furiously stomp on the four arrows and conjectured the same statement, too! Freestyling is the act of taking DDR one step further and actually dancing to the beat of the song while simultaneously hitting the arrows on the screen. That's right--real dancing and real gameplay at the same time! This video might give you an idea of (really good) freestyling on In the Groove, with the subsequent judging. We're basically doing the same thing--except this is open to ANYONE, and it doesn't matter if you're good or terrible at freestyling. Just have the ability to play DDR reasonably well and the drive to have fun on the stage!

Anyway, the judging (in front of a live panel of volunteer judges again) will be done once the song ends, and combined with the audience's appreciation and the actual song's score (likely points in DDR and percentage in ITG), a winner will be determined. Once again, prizes will be awarded!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So those are the two so far...now get thinking for more ideas! Either post them here or e-mail me at "gaming[at]setsucon.com"
2008 and 2009 Gaming Room Director, 2010-2012 Gaming Room Mentor, Artist Alley Member of Sorts, and Obsessive-Compulsive Compliant!

Weblog: PlasmaFire.org

MidnightWolf

Post by MidnightWolf » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:41 pm

You have to have ROCK BAND!! That would be 10 times better than Guitar Hero Idol!
-MidnightWolf

PlasmaFire
Staff Emeritus

Post by PlasmaFire » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:20 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think that a Rock Band version of Guitar Hero Idol will work properly, especially because the game was designed to have a vocal component. If we were to have such a competition, the player(s) would have to keep track of two simultaneous events at once (the guitar playing and the vocal track--both of which can cause a failed song); with Guitar Hero, he/she'd only have to keep track of the guitar notes and sing the song in whatever manner he/she wishes.

Contrary to the computerized scoring that Rock Band offers for both singing and playing, Guitar Hero Idol's judging is based mainly on a panel of three people and a live audience. Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II (the titles we'll be using in the competition) have been out much longer than the new multi-peripheral game has been, so most of the longtime players will likely know the lyrics to the songs in GH/GHII better anyway.
2008 and 2009 Gaming Room Director, 2010-2012 Gaming Room Mentor, Artist Alley Member of Sorts, and Obsessive-Compulsive Compliant!

Weblog: PlasmaFire.org

PlasmaFire
Staff Emeritus

Post by PlasmaFire » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:14 pm

As of last night, live gaming events suggestions have ended. Since Live Event registrations need to be forwarded to one of the staffers of Setsucon by December 20 (yes, even I need to do that), I needed to cut the suggestions short so that I can fill out the paperwork soon. My apologies if anyone felt left out in this...

So, myself and those staffing the gaming room have decided that Guitar Hero Idol and an on-stage finals tournament will be the two LGEs featured at Setsucon.

Guitar Hero Idol will take place on Saturday, likely in the early-mid afternoon; we will use Guitar Hero, Guitar Hero II for PS2, Guitar Hero Rock the 80s (maybe), and Guitar Hero III for PS2 as our game selections, along with a wireless controller for the players. Only songs with lyrics, of course, will be permitted for performance; this does include the bonus tracks.

The basic premise of Guitar Hero Idol was described in my earlier post above (August 29, 2007), but we will no longer have a co-op version in addition to the single-player competition. The reason for SP-only is due to the limited time--about 1.5 hours maximum--that Guitar Hero Idol can run (other presentations and guests will be using the Panels room a lot as well!). In addition, we're placing the registration cap for the tournament fairly high at around 6-8 contestants (yes, you do need to sign up earlier on Saturday in person beforehand! We'll announce it several times in the game room, though).

Finally, for those who want to play, you need to choose the song and difficulty you're planning on performing with during sign-ups (a tracklist of allowed songs will be provided); you may change your preferences up until an hour before Guitar Hero Idol begins, though. This is to allow us some set-up time, briefing for the MC, and to prevent song confusion/conflicts during judging.

Final rules for Guitar Hero Idol will be posted at Setsucon. We hope to see some awesome acts!

[Edit] After discussing with one of my staffers, we've decided to allow Guitar Hero III for the PS2 (and possibly Guitar Hero Rock the 80s) into the titles for Guitar Hero Idol.

[Edit 2] However, please ensure you view the "setlist" that will be posted in the gameroom on Saturday for the full list of allowable songs! We need to build one PowerPoint presentation for each track that has lyrics--a very daunting task--but we're striving to get many of the top hits on all four titles!

The on-stage finals tournament (name to be decided?), taking place on Sunday (hopefully in the early afternoon), is basically a gaming room tournament placed on a stage in front of an audience. Either three or five of the most popular games (to be determined) will be featured, and anyone who manages to make it into the final (or semi-final, depending on the game) bracket from the gaming room's qualifiers will compete on-stage instead of in the smaller room like usual. The audience will have a chance to watch the tournament on larger screens, and we will have a formal awards ceremony for the winners and runner-ups of these three/five games.
Last edited by PlasmaFire on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:57 am, edited 7 times in total.

Panda

Post by Panda » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:24 pm

This video might give you an idea
Or you can watch episode 25 of YugiOh the Abridged Series. :P http://www.yugiohtheabridgedseries.com/episodes/