Questions.

If you have any questions please post them for the staff review.
rockthelauren

Questions.

Post by rockthelauren » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:20 pm

Hey, this is my first ever con and I really
don't know what to expect. When will cosplay
night be and is there anything special I should
know about it? Do a lot of people usually attend
this particular con? And just like any other
things that you think a first-timer should be aware of.
And if I'm only coming for the day, my friends
and I need to buy our tickets at the door that day?

Thanks!

MinekaC
Staff

Post by MinekaC » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:05 pm

NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE CON!
I'm just saying what's the norm at nearly every other convention (and every one I've gone to)
Saturday night tends to be the cosplay masqurade, and the day when most people will be wearing the best cosplays. So if you have a cosplay, I'd suggest wearing it for Saturday. This way you can run around in comfy garb on friday and figure out where everything shall be!
Since this is the cons first year, all of us shall have to wait and see how popular it's going to be.
I'm not sure how they're working the tickets, but usally you can buy a single day pass for the con, and yes it would have to be at the door. Pre-reg tends to be exclusive to all weekend passes.
My advice to first timers are: Look at the schedule, and highlight everything you want to go to, and make sure you're always busy. It's really easy to get bored if you're not in a workshop, and that's a negative thing to do.
My first con I went to oragami workshops, cell painting, plushie making, and I "how to colour with prisma markers" Heh, even walked away with the instructers poster. Just make sure yer the first one to ask!
"Alright anymore questions? Ah yes you in the purple wig."
"Can I have the poster you where using as a demonstration."
".......... umm. Sure."
"Yay!" *audience: Whaaa? No fair!*
"..... If you want to kill her and get the poster back she's parked on level C."
*shuffels out of the workshop grinning like an idiot* Damn Shamanic Princess Sara and her bound wrists.

Yea, if you have a hot, or confining costume that requires a decent amount of effort to walk in, make sure you locate all the water fountains first, cause later you might be in a panic for some water.
Hope that helps!

kali

Post by kali » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:41 pm

Let's see, first timer info....

Yes, we should be selling one-day passes (we don't expect to sell-out at pre-register) and you will need to purchase them at the door. You might want to take a look at our policies (http://setsucon.com/reg/policy.html) as well. (Don't worry, they're not scary at all! :D)

Be aware that you may be on your feet quite a bit. If you aren't cosplaying, I suggest you consider wearing comfy shoes. Cosplay goes on the entire weekend, so don't be afraid to wear a costume during the day, but the Masquerade (I assume that's what you mean by cosplay night) is on Saturday evening. Unlike big conventions, you won't have to really worry about getting in line early to see the Masquerade.

Speaking of comfort, when planning what events you want to go to, don't forget to make time to eat! This is especially important if you plan to go to a longer event like the Dance or Masquerade. You don't want to get there and spend the whole time with a grumbling tummy so you don't enjoy what's going on.

Most of all, don't forget to talk to people and have fun! We're all at the con because we like anime, so strike up a convo about your favorite shows while in line or waiting for programming to start. Most cosplayers don't bite, so if you want to take a picture, just ask.
Beware of Ninja
No Longer a Minion But Available For Grunt Work

NinjaHellKitty

Post by NinjaHellKitty » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:37 am

To tack on to what Kali said... dont forget to drink water too... there have been cases of otaku passing out in cons cause of dehydration and yes that can happen just as easily in winter if you are not carefull ... and we dont want you to be all passing out during the con... not pretty...

Other than that be sociable, follow the rules and listen to the authority figures, aka us, when we ask you to do or not to do something cause we have good reasons, be polite and curtious to your fellow con goers... urah... bring friends, tell them to tell others to come, and have them all come back again next year ... END SHAMELESS PLUG>>>

bru
Site Admin

Post by bru » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:21 pm

Look at the schedule, and highlight everything you want to go to
Very Very good tip. Every year I miss lots of stuff because I completely forget about things. If you can prepare a tenative schedule for yourself it's really makes things easier.

Vitals: I also want to stress sleep, eat, and drink water. People coughincludingmecough tend to forget these things at cons.

Cosplay: If you've never cosplayed before/cosplayed at a convention. Wear you're costume around the house doing normal activities so you are familiar with moving in it. Also keep in mind any protruding bits like wings, or dragging bits like dress trains, and tails. You and everyone around you will probably forget they are there.. and inevitably will walk into / step on them. (Speaking from experience.)

Other than that, I believe the other post have got you covered <3.

rockthelauren

Post by rockthelauren » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:36 pm

Ah! Thank you all a lot for the tips. :D

joekou

store

Post by joekou » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:42 pm

is their going to be something like a Dealer’s room there

kali

Post by kali » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Yes, we plan to have a vendor's room, we are waiting on confirmation from vendors.
Beware of Ninja
No Longer a Minion But Available For Grunt Work

Panda

Post by Panda » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:43 pm

sleep, eat, and drink water.
Sleep? What is this sleep of which you speak? :? bru, giving con goers imaginary concepts again are we? :wink:

Ok, anyway. Yes: nourishment and sleep are essential. The most recent Otakon had a case of heat stroke on their hands during prereg. Someone in a nearby appartment looked like he hadn't sleeped the whole time. Luckily, Setsucon's time set-up will be less demanding than Otakon.

Always be prepared to adapt to con life. If you're cosplaying, don't keep it to yourself. Be polit and let people take photos when they ask to take them.

Ah, yes, I nearly forgot... If you know what is good for you, you will never cut into line. :twisted:

Anything else... you will probably learn best through expierience. :D

joekou

Post by joekou » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:41 am

is here going to be an AMV contest this year

mdm373

Post by mdm373 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:50 am

There is room for an AMV contest in our current events listing. However we are not yet taking AMV's for screenings so please check back in later once we have a more definitive date on that.

joekou

Post by joekou » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:35 am

any word on how is going to be at the Dealer’s room and any news on the amv contest