Feedback

Feel free to chat away about the con!
mana_donut

Feedback

Post by mana_donut » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:10 pm

Please provide any feedback you have about your con experience :)

mana_donut

Post by mana_donut » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:15 pm

setsucon was an amazing experience for me! i have two suggestions:

- wristbands should maybe be changed to something else... it was hard to see the wristbands on people who wore long-sleeved shirts. i was monitoring the vendors room to see who had wristbands and who didn't, until i quickly realized that many would not be visible. plus, even though i registered and received a wristband, i didn't wear it ^_^;

- dim the lights and clear some of the chairs out for musical performances. i really wanted to watch the band, but was quickly deterred when i saw that the lights were on and people were simply sitting in chairs watching. the set-up of the room forced most people to either sit down or stand in an awkward place. i think it would be better to leave part of the room open for standing and provide a good number of chairs for people who simply want to watch. i was hoping for an opportunity to rock out ^_^;

kali

Post by kali » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:33 pm

My one gripe was that Artist Alley was a bit hidden, and the signage for it could use some...oomph.

Honestly, my fiance and I agreed that we had more fun at this con than we've had at nearly every other con we've been too. All the guests I talked to really seemed to enjoy it overall as well.

Also, props to Anita and the rest of the staff, because this was also one of the best run cons I've seen in a long time.
Beware of Ninja
No Longer a Minion But Available For Grunt Work

meryl

quality con experience!

Post by meryl » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

You guys did a great job with your first-year con! "Vash" and I enjoyed ourselves as attendees, cosplayers, and dealers. The hotel was lovely, the organization was GREAT, you had lots of staff/security folks around, it was a fantastic turnout (what was the total number of attendees?), the costumes were amazing, and everyone was so friendly!

What could improve Setsucon for 2008? Just making it two or three days instead of one, of course!

Panda

Post by Panda » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 am

Pitty me, for I am actualy preparing a formal report, but here I'll just utter a few things.

I loved the way things turned out in the end. I held "ok" expectations and thus they were pleasently beaten. Not only did we beat our top-out goal, but if we wern't non-profit we would be forced into an IRS audit over the Host Club Auction. :twisted: Speaking of which, the great nature of that event is making me write a wiki-page on it. :wink:

I think this has pretty much already been made a default change, but I'll mention it here anyway: wrist-bands must be dumped. Pros: cheap, don't get in the way of pictures. Cons: a pain to check, offer no general memobralia oppertunities, have a tendency to not fit some people or break off.

Non-paying people wern't really an issue, of course. There were only two incidents involving non-banded persons and it wasn't hard to handle. However, the fact that there were some cases indicates both that we were getting to complacent with people just going into events AND it was just getting to bothersome to ask people to pull up a sleeve.

Mana's also right about the seating in the musical rooms, though I didn't really think about it myself until now.

A minor nit-pick outside my department, we need to acurately determine how long an anime is going to run and when it's going to start. Specific example being when we showed Dragon Half, it ended about a half-hour before it's slot was supposed to expire. So I overheard a few (only a few) gripes when we started the next anime ahead of announced time.

PR could be improved a bit (though this has already been discussed). We'll probably tackle Otakon this year much more effectively and I have no doubts that has good attendence-gaining potential. Plus if we expand the con's time, more people from further distances are likely to come. I know one group who came (I went :shock: when I heard it) from Indiana just to visit us. :D And now that we have actualy had the con, more people throughout PA in general will hear about us and consider coming. So really I'm not worried about attendence anymore, and we've learned our PR mistakes.

Overall this was a good breaking-in expierience. We've identified most of what we did and did not do correctly and next year we can probably pull everything off perfectly...

Well, as long as certain unamed persons do not kill one another... :wink: (I won't say any names, you know who you are) :lol:
~Mr. Panda
~Chief of Setsu Secruity [sic] 2006-2008
~Lazy Staff Consultant & EX-Staffer 2006-Present
~ #1 Setsucon Ejectee (2011)

Mr. Otaku

Post by Mr. Otaku » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:19 pm

I had a great time. The staff was great and I was surprised about how much anime I know after winning the trivia contest.

The only gripe I had was with my dad. He was my only ride and he absolutely refused to even stay for the masquerade and the dance.

Next year, I'll definately stay for the whole con and I might have a different costume for the event.

I might get some good costumes for Tekkoshocon and Otakon this year.

Otaku USA Minion

Post by Otaku USA Minion » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:33 pm

My review can be found on the under construction page.
It will be moved to an official review place within the site.

The address is http://otakuusamagazine.com/