Who was at Otakon 2010 i.e. Who survived the Otakon "fire"?

Postings about Setsucon 2011
JingleBellRoxie
Location: Sadly, I'm still Earthbound. My spaceship hasn't been repaired yet

Who was at Otakon 2010 i.e. Who survived the Otakon "fire"?

Post by JingleBellRoxie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm

...And we all know how much fun THAT was xD
Honestly though, it was fun. Carameldansen, singing, and generally freaking out the rush hour population of Baltimore. Simply amazing <3

Back to the topic at hand: Who was at Otakon this past July/August, who did you cosplay (if you did), and how long were you there?
I was there all 3 days, and had two cosplays:
1) Friday only, Kiyal Bachika (before time skip) from Gurren Lagann
2) Sat & Sun, Canada/Matthew Williams from Hetalia

I'm African-American and at the time was 12 (my birthday is in 4 days lawl)
Just want to know so I can reconnect with all of you whose info I forgot to ask for! /shot xD (And because everyone there was so awesome :wink: )
Oh and I was at Setsu 09 too, but with different cosplays.

Ugly Bob

Re: Who was at Otakon 2010 i.e. Who survived the Otakon "fire"?

Post by Ugly Bob » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:30 am

I was at Otakon 2010 as well (my first time, but definitely not the last!)

I just happened to be in the hotel next to the BCC so I wasn't affected by the fire alarm, though my schedule definitely was, having several of my scheduled interviews delayed or canceled.

It wasn't really a problem, but I wish I had been informed in a more timely manner, so I could've been doing other things in the meantime. Either way, it was certainly an interesting experience to see all the people suddenly thrust into Baltimore's streets.
"Fire! Fire! Heh-heh-heh..." Final Fantasy VI - Kefka Palazzo's Retainer

awesomesaucemiku

Post by awesomesaucemiku » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 am

Who was at Otakon this past July/August, who did you cosplay (if you did), and how long were you there?
I was there all three days, three different cosplays and mostly walked around with a cosplay group of close friends. Friday I wore a curly blue wig and pink sweet lolita dress and was with two ravers, a Germany, an Italy (Feli, not Romano), and a non-cosplayer. Saturday I was Hatsune Miku, my whole group included a Haku, Luka, Kaito, Rin, and Len. But we weren't always all together. Sunday I was Kaiko, the version with the black dress with white fur trim. Again, with Kaito, Luka, Rin, Len, and Haku when we were all together, but I left early on Sunday. We were at the Saturday and Sunday Vocaloid photoshoots. When the evacuation happened we were at the photoshoot. I was at Setsucon 09 with the same Rin and Len, also, that's how we met Kaito, Luka, and Haku.
"Oh wonderful wonderful and most wonderful wonderful, and yet again wonderful, and after that out of all whooping."-Shakespeare
"And yet, to say the truth, reason and love keep little companies now-a-days."-Shakespeare

Ryaven
Staff Emeritus

Post by Ryaven » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:30 pm

I was driving into the mass chaos with my friends during that time...I don't recall if I was dressed as anything >.> I think by then I got sick of cosplay for the weekend and was just wearing "normie" clothes. Day before though, I was dressed as some zombie/demon/dead Geisha lolita thing. It was interesting trying to get to my friends' Senseis' hotel. Nonetheless we hung out for a while before going to the con XD.

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm

I was in Video 3, the Classic Track, showing The Astonishing Work of Tezuka Osamu. When the alarm went off, I stopped the DVD, grabbed the mic and herded everyone out. Once the room was secured I went out to help with crowd control (using the collapsible umbrella in my pocket as a baton-mostly jokingly). It's rather fortunate that the "fire" happened while I was showing an anthology, since I was able to get the schedule back on track by skipping a few segments.
E. Bernhard Warg
Otaku, Whovian, Geek, Anime's Frank, Otakon Classic Track guy and OtakuGeneration segment producer

bru
Site Admin

Post by bru » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:07 am

I was there Thursday through Sunday Dress as Sailor Lead Crow from the Sailor moon Musicals. Which boils down to a lcrya red shattered glass hologram lycra leotard with Black sequined wings.

During the alarm sounging... I was at the lolita swap meet and the adjoining Sheraton. So we were pretty surprised by this massive stream of people suddenly filling up the area. Then finally I just walked around the back to the Hilton which was running fine since no one even know what was going on at BCC. If I recall correctly. I didn't want to get caught up in that huge crowd with my wings.
Setsu '07 -Con-Chair [n vice chair/treasurer.. yea]
'08 -Cosplay Judge
'09 - Judge/ Web
'10 - Judge / Web / Somehow still involved XDD
'11 - Moar Web / Old age is setting in...
'12 - Never gonna give you up
'13 - Never gonna let you down

primarchlion

Post by primarchlion » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:08 pm

I was there.

I was at the karaoke, cosplaying Kaito. It was my turn to sing and my mp3 was on my cell phone. I had just walked up to the mic and the alarm sounded. They kicked us all out and my only friend with me at the time doesn't own a cell phone. Fun times =) Then for some reason they didn't want people entering the building on the side next to Otacafe, so we had to walk to the opposite side, get in line to get back in, and go through the entire convention center just for me to retrieve my phone. Then I sang in front of four or five people =)

DarkFlame34

Post by DarkFlame34 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:16 am

Oh my god, my friends and I were so afraid that we were gonna get turned away (we didn't pre-reg) but thankfully we got in. Vic certainly has a lot of influence on conventions, doesn't he? :wink:
[color=#40BF40]"What do we call you other than Mr. and Mrs. Gorilla Monkey?"[/color]

modernparanoia

Post by modernparanoia » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:27 pm

My crew and I were just coming back from lunch when it happened. We were coming down the road from the Inner Harbor and saw a simply unbelievable MASS OF BODIES all over the place. I asked around and found out about the fire alarm thing. We ended up going back to the hotel room and drinking because it was too effin' hot to stand outside.

I did see some guy get hit by a car, so that was pretty damn funny. Wasn't worth all the schedule screw-ups and such, though. :(
Upcoming Events
-Setsucon
-Tekkoshocon
-Otakon

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zetsubouresa.
Feel free to add me and stuff.

RytoEX
Site Admin

Post by RytoEX » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:41 pm

I believe that I had slept in that day and was just arriving at the convention center after most people had been forced onto the streets of Baltimore. My friends and I arrived at the mass of people, found some other mutual friends, found out what happened, and then promptly wandered over to the attached Hilton (which had not evacuated) where we met with some other friends. I think we ended up staying at the Hilton waiting for Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail, Highschool of the Dead, or the Zeta Gundam marathon to start.
Setsucon 2007-? General Volunteer
Setsucon 2010-2017 Assistant Webmaster
Setsucon 2011-2017 Advisor
Setsucon 2013 Vice Con Chair (and still Assistant Webmaster) ^^; orz
Setsucon 2016 Public Relations Director

esw01407

Post by esw01407 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I was right in the middle of the con by reg and got to watch the Firedoors closing over the crosswalks and was waiting to see what kind of disaster it was going to be. Otherwise, took a few pictures in the crowd, and went back to the hotel to dump some of my swag.

spacecadetdemyx

Post by spacecadetdemyx » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 pm

I WAS THERE AT THE OTAKON FIRE DRILL THING!! I SURVIVED!!

That was such a crazy time! I could not believe that happened! Now looking back on it, it's an epic story to have for the rest of our lives.