AMV Contest

Event announcements and discussion
MoonMage
Staff Emeritus

AMV Contest

Post by MoonMage » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey! Soooo...did you know we had an AMV contest? Yup. Contestants videos are shown on Saturday at the convention and then the winner is chosen by a group of judges. Although we cannot put the winning video(s) up directly on our site, we are allowed to show a link to it (i.e. youtube). The only question now is, are you up to the challenge???

Not sure how to create an AMV? No prob! Just look at one of the many helpful links on this site: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/
Kathy Taylor

Setsucon 2012 Con Chair (Massive Planning: Winter Break + Spring 2012; Running the Convention Day-of)
Setsucon 2012 Vice-Con Chair (Planning: Spring + Fall Semesters 2011)
Setsucon 2011 Programming Director

Bernhard

Re: AMV Contest

Post by Bernhard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm slowly working on my submission, and I'm trying to convince a coworker of mine to attend the con and make an AMV of her own, but I have a question:

Considering how few submissions there have been in 2009 and 2010 (I don't know about 2008), what are the reasons behind these two rules?
1 video submission per person or team.

AMV cannot have won an award or been submitted at any other convention, film festival, or online competition.
E. Bernhard Warg
Otaku, Whovian, Geek, Anime's Frank, Otakon Classic Track guy and OtakuGeneration segment producer

MoonMage
Staff Emeritus

Post by MoonMage » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:31 pm

No prob, let's see what we got here...

"1 video submission per person or team." Well, that rule was set in place so that no 1 person / group comes out winning in every category. Also, it creates more diversity within the AMVs. After all, as you've probably noticed, everyone has their own particular style that he/she seems to stick with when making videos.

Next, "AMV cannot have won an award or been submitted at any other convention, film festival, or online competition." That's simple enough. We want original work; something that's made especially for this event. It's not really fair to put up an AMV that's won 5 different awards against a newbie's, considering that we do not have divisions for AMV ranking based on how many past awards you've earned (like we do when we judge Cosplay).
Kathy Taylor

Setsucon 2012 Con Chair (Massive Planning: Winter Break + Spring 2012; Running the Convention Day-of)
Setsucon 2012 Vice-Con Chair (Planning: Spring + Fall Semesters 2011)
Setsucon 2011 Programming Director

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured, though I wonder if, given the small number of submissions in the past two years (does anyone know how many there were in 2008?), it might not be a good idea to relax the "1 video submission per person or team" to allow for two submissions, or maybe two total, one per category. Hopefully there'll be more submissions this year (as I said, I'm working on mine :wink: ) and my argument will be moot.

"It's not really fair to put up an AMV that's won 5 different awards against a newbie's" is certainly true.
E. Bernhard Warg
Otaku, Whovian, Geek, Anime's Frank, Otakon Classic Track guy and OtakuGeneration segment producer

sunfisher89
Staff Emeritus

Post by sunfisher89 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:38 am

You make some really good points that were brought up early in the process of drafting the rules this year. We decided to err on the stricter side on a few things, consistent with rules you might expect for submitting an English paper. The AMV you linked to being a very good example of what we are hoping to avoid. However, we may change our policies next year in order to facilitate a larger volume of submissions. That is an issue that we have had since the first Setsucon, poor AMV entry turnout. I was attributing it to the lack of advertising for the event and didn't really consider strict rules being a factor. I imagine after this year's Setsucon we may be weighing the fairness of the competition with the submission volume so see if we can balance it out a bit more. I would love for AMV'sto finally be it's own event, the only thing stopping it is lack of submissions because we aren't going to hold a <30minute main event.
2012+ Forum Moderator
Setsucon 2011Con Chair

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 am

Another rule you might want to consider modifying is changing
AMV cannot have won an award or been submitted at any other convention, film festival, or online competition.
to
AMV cannot have won an award any other convention, film festival, or online competition.
While it would mean you'd get some submissions that weren't (if I may borrow your wording with mild paraphrasing) work made especially for this event, it would still preclude putting up an AMV that's won 5 different awards against a newbie's.

Also, have you considered allowing non-competing videos from staff?

Just some suggestions from an old fogey with some experience.

Incidentally, something I've been wondering: How many entries were there in the 2008 AMV contest? I'm kind of afraid the answer will be "five"...
E. Bernhard Warg

sunfisher89
Staff Emeritus

Post by sunfisher89 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:18 am

Good suggestions. Thank you for your input.

08 was my first year with Setsucon as part of the Hall Cosplay Committee. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure exactly how many entries we had. Mostly because of poor bookkeeping of that kind of thing on our end, but also because I had a pretty low level of commitment in the organization at that point. That year I do remember that my co-committee member and I suggested that we put the AMV's during the Masquerade deliberation because we were told that the 07 AMV contest was a flop, turnout wise. That's where it has stayed for the past 3 years. I was trying to make a push to turn AMV's into a main event, like it should be, but we lacked a AMV Coordinator until about halfway through the fall semester. I, unfortunately, have absolutely no experience in that aspect of conventions so I didn't know much what to do.

Anyways short answer to your question. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not think that we had any more than 5 AMV's that year.

So, to anyone reading this thread. AMV's: Make Them!
2012+ Forum Moderator
Setsucon 2011Con Chair