Feedback Questions

Event announcements and discussion
MoonMage
Staff Emeritus

Feedback Questions

Post by MoonMage » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:25 pm

Please answer as many of the following questions as you can / wish to do. Your responses are very valuable to us as we critique this year and plan for the next. THANK YOU!!!

Programming
1.) The Manga Library was a new addition this year. What did you think of it?

2.) Did you participate in Card Gaming? What did you think of our tournaments?

3.) How was our Game Room?

4.) Did you enjoy our Panels? Which ones did you like in particular?

5.) How were our Viewings?

6.) Did you get to see / participate in any of our Main Events--Rock Band Idol, AMV Contest, Masquerade, Host Auction, Hall Cosplay? What did you think of them?

7.) Money for cosplayers in the Host Auction goes to the Child's Play Charity - http://www.childsplaycharity.org/. What would make you bid higher for a host in the Host Auction?

8.) Were you reluctant on submitting an entry for one of our contests? If so, why might this have been? ex. Cosplay not finished in time for Hall Cosplay judging, stage fright, etc.

9.) What could we do to make Programming better?

Operations
1.) Were you always able to find a seat / view the event comfortably?

2.) Did our staffers provide you with everything you needed in order to make your panel / workshop / skit run smoothly from an operations standpoint (i.e. equipment, chairs, etx.)?

3.) Were staffers easy to find in case you needed something? In relation to that, were staffers' responses helpful & polite?

4.) What could we do to make Operations better?

Registration
1.) What did you think of the registration setup this year?

2.) How was the registration process for you? Difficult? Easy?

3.) What could we do to make Registration better?

Public Relations
1.) Did you enjoy our guests--Uncle Yo, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Kyle Hebert, Greggo, & Antipode?

2.) What did you think of the setup for Dealer's and Artist Alley?

3.) What could we do to make Public Relations better?

Web
1.) Is our Website easy to navigate?

2.) Can you easily find all the material that you need / want?

3.) Are you aware of our other Web presences? - Facebook, Twitter, Deviantart

4.) What could we do to make the Website better?

Other
1.) Was there any staffer who particularly went out of his / her way to help you or just made your visit extremely pleasant in general?

2.) What's your FAVORITE part of Setsucon? In relation to that, what's something that we could improve upon?

3.) Any other comments???

Once again thank you for your time and thank you for coming!
Kathy Taylor

Setsucon 2012 Con Chair (Massive Planning: Winter Break + Spring 2012; Running the Convention Day-of)
Setsucon 2012 Vice-Con Chair (Planning: Spring + Fall Semesters 2011)
Setsucon 2011 Programming Director

Axel

Re: Feedback Questions

Post by Axel » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm

-I thought it was a great idea. Definitely a nice place to go wind down in between the panels I wanted to go to, etc. One thing to note is that I overheard that several manga weren't brought because they were yaoi based, or that's what the people closing up at the end were talking about. I'd suggest a separate 18+ area next time with ID requirements.

2.) Did you participate in Card Gaming? What did you think of our tournaments
I didn't, but a friend of mine did and I visited her several times. The only problem I had with the card gaming was timing. The event she was in started late and ended late, and drug on so long that she missed all of the sunday panels she was interested in.

Amazing!~ I loved the game options. This area was spectacular, and I particularly loved the staff member who came over and was willing to sit down and teach me the rules of a game I'd never seen before.

I loved some of the panels! The game show ones were great, including 34, the thift store one was very informative, etc.

I can't say I spent a lot of time in these, as I wasn't interested in many of the shows.

6.) Did you get to see / participate in any of our Main Events--Rock Band Idol, AMV Contest, Masquerade, Host Auction, Hall Cosplay? What did you think of them?
Now that I think about it, I think I completely missed all of these, except for the mario belly dance, which was amazing. Oh, and the odori, which I adored.

7.) Money for cosplayers in the Host Auction goes to the Child's Play Charity - http://www.childsplaycharity.org/. What would make you bid higher for a host in the Host Auction?
Honestly, I don't think this point is valid for me, as I wouldn't likely participate in an event of this kind.

8.) Were you reluctant on submitting an entry for one of our contests? If so, why might this have been? ex. Cosplay not finished in time for Hall Cosplay judging, stage fright, etc.
Not a cosplay maker or an artist, so I don't think there were really any contests I could have joined.

Hmm. Maybe a few big events on Sunday? After the chaos and amazingness of Saturday, my group personally noticed how the only thing we really wanted to do besides Iron Cosplay and the AMV contest was kind of just...read or something. It was kind of a let down after the day before.

Operations
Sadly, no. Because of the way our hotel/ride situation worked out, I had to carry two backpacks with me on Sunday. Events like the Uncle Yo special, where all seats were filled in the way they were meant I couldn't go in, because if I wasn't on the end then my bags would be encroaching on other people's space. Also, the Rule 34 event had so many people that there were people on the floor and standing clustered around the door.

2.) Did our staffers provide you with everything you needed in order to make your panel / workshop / skit run smoothly from an operations standpoint (i.e. equipment, chairs, etx.)?
Didn't do any of these, haha.

3.) Were staffers easy to find in case you needed something? In relation to that, were staffers' responses helpful & polite?
What I saw, yes. As I said before, in the game room there was a staff member willing to sit down with me and teach me a game, which I thought was pretty amazing.

Hmm. You might want to watch which staffers you put on jobs that involve being assertive. At one point, the saturday morning guy on the Artist Alley entrance was having serious problems getting people to use the right entry and exits. People kind of seemed to not hear him when he tried to stop them, or just kept going.

Registration
It was spectacular and easy.

As said, it was very simple and easy. Registered three people at one time.
More pens, haha. There were people clustered around the papers because at one point there were only two.

Public Relations
1.) Did you enjoy our guests--Uncle Yo, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Kyle Hebert, Greggo, & Antipode?
Loved them. Long time fan of Uncle Yo, and Kyle was hilarious. Antipode was amazing, too.
The set up was pretty cool, and I liked the way they were connected.
They seemed pretty fantastic as things were.
Web
Definitely. I stalked it for months before hand.
For the most part, yes.

Facebook, yes. I don't really use the others.

Seems pretty boss the way things are, actually.

Other
1.) Was there any staffer who particularly went out of his / her way to help you or just made your visit extremely pleasant in general?
As I said, there was a staffer in the game room who sat down with me when he saw me having troubles figuring out one of the games. It was a space based robot game of some kind. He spent a good ten minutes teaching me controls and playing a few rounds until I got the hang out it, and I appreciate it greatly.

2.) What's your FAVORITE part of Setsucon? In relation to that, what's something that we could improve upon?
My favorite part were the game shows and uncle yo, as well as the rave. As far as improvement...this was probably my fault for not reading the book, but I honestly had no idea there was going to be a rave. I didn't know what Odori meant, so I was prepared for hte event. If I'd known, I would have been sure to buy glowsticks and the like. But again, that's probably my fault.

The fact that the hotel didn't complain if we didn't wear shoes was fantastic. Just throwing that out there. Location was amazing. <3
I would recommend having a public schedule put up, though, because I lost mine half way through and was never sure when anything was ,because there would be papers put up with times that would change from hour to hour. At one point there was a listing for the dragonball roast, then tenticles, then 34 in the same room that I scheduled my night around, only to be told that the sign that was up was wrong. Likewise, the doll panel was in my schedule as starting at 9, when it actually started at 8:30. And as a random note, I'd suggest a list of places around the area to get food, as I wasn't from the area and kind of just winged it on ramen all weekend because I wasn't sure.

Jounichi

Post by Jounichi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:09 pm

Programming
1.) The Manga Library was a new addition this year. What did you think of it? - I didn't visit the Manga Library.

2.) Did you participate in Card Gaming? What did you think of our tournaments? n/a

3.) How was our Game Room? n/a

4.) Did you enjoy our Panels? Which ones did you like in particular? The panels were all very fun and entertaining; I particularly enjoyed the Thrift Store Cosplay. It had so much helpful information in it.

5.) How were our Viewings?I didn't attend many of the viewings; I only saw Air. But they were nice and quiet, as always. It's easy to get lost in your anime in there :D

6.) Did you get to see / participate in any of our Main Events--Rock Band Idol, AMV Contest, Masquerade, Host Auction, Hall Cosplay? What did you think of them? I attend Rock Band Idol every year; My group and I love it. It's something you should definitely keep. The Host Auction is always fun and entertaining as well; I especially loved the little video at the beginning. Another thing you should keep doing.

7.) Money for cosplayers in the Host Auction goes to the Child's Play Charity - http://www.childsplaycharity.org/. What would make you bid higher for a host in the Host Auction? n/a

8.) Were you reluctant on submitting an entry for one of our contests? If so, why might this have been? ex. Cosplay not finished in time for Hall Cosplay judging, stage fright, etc. I was going to submit a video for the AMV contest. I didn't, however, because I couldn't get all my subtitles out of my Hetalia one; as they're usually in the middle of the frame.

9.) What could we do to make Programming better? n/a

Operations
1.) Were you always able to find a seat / view the event comfortably? Yes, everything went smoothly. It would be nice if we could get the stage just a tad bit high to view over high hair/wigs and props.

2.) Did our staffers provide you with everything you needed in order to make your panel / workshop / skit run smoothly from an operations standpoint (i.e. equipment, chairs, etx.)? yes

3.) Were staffers easy to find in case you needed something? In relation to that, were staffers' responses helpful & polite? Yes, I could always find a staffer if I needed one. My prop had broken during the duration of the con; they were helpful in getting me tape and helping me to fix it.

4.) What could we do to make Operations better? n/a

Registration
1.) What did you think of the registration setup this year? I had no problems with registration. It seemed to flow smoothly.

2.) How was the registration process for you? Difficult? Easy? very easy.

3.) What could we do to make Registration better? nothing.

Public Relations
1.) Did you enjoy our guests--Uncle Yo, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Kyle Hebert, Greggo, & Antipode? I did, indeed. ^.^

2.) What did you think of the setup for Dealer's and Artist Alley? I loved the setup and merch available. Great variety.

3.) What could we do to make Public Relations better? n/a

Web
1.) Is our Website easy to navigate? yes

2.) Can you easily find all the material that you need / want? yes

3.) Are you aware of our other Web presences? - Facebook, Twitter, Deviantart yes

4.) What could we do to make the Website better? post the schedule just a few more days in advance for people that have to collaborate a ride from someone else.

Other
1.) Was there any staffer who particularly went out of his / her way to help you or just made your visit extremely pleasant in general? n/a

2.) What's your FAVORITE part of Setsucon? In relation to that, what's something that we could improve upon? A favorite? you expect me to choose a favorite?! Impossible! But I do love the guests :D

CakeEater

Post by CakeEater » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:41 am

Programming
It was wonderful~! It was nice to go in there and read some of your favourite titles, no?

No, sorry~.

Spectacular! I was pleased to see DDR~.

Yes, and I loved the gameshow things. They were so very funny.

Le wonderful~

Unfortuneately, no, but I hear they were marvelous~!

Eh....I have no clue, sorry.

Ha, yes. Mainly stage frightened friends and bad cosplay that held me back~

More things on Sunday, and not as much pushed into Saturday. Sunday was a bit dull, really.

Operations
Indeed~

I was not in a skit/panel/workshop, but I would assume they did. Everyone seemed happy and comfortable~

Oh yes, they were very helpful and easy to find.

Well, perhaps more assertive staff members in certain areas? Place them according to their strengths, perhaps. A techie over in the Video Game Room, a natural born leader who can easily be heard and give directions near doors...etc.

Registration
It was wonderful~! Everyone was so kind and friendly, and it was so easy to understand.

As I said before, it was easy as cake~. Pardon the pun.

Oh, nothing I imagine. Perhaps more staff members working registration? So it goes by faster, you know?

Public Relations
Yes, of the few I saw. They were funny and nice.

My only complaint is how crowded it was, though that is a bit of a good thing.

It was marvelous already~.

Web
Indeed~.

Somewhat...I was attempting to see how copyright would work for the Dealer's and Artists Alley, and I didn't really find much in those areas. Otherwise, very nice site~.

I am now~!

Not much, really. The layout is nice, proper links are provided...it is dandy the way it is~.

Other
Um...no, not really...I didn't talk to the staff much, or need them, really.

Oh, my absoulute favourite? Meeting all the new people, and seeing the cosplays~!! Though really, just going was my favourite part~.

Keep up the good work, and continue getting bigger and better~!!!!

esw01407

Post by esw01407 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:50 pm

Programming
I (personally) don’t attend conventions to read manga, but I’m not sure a Manga Library was necessary for a con of this size. The space might have been better used as another panel room or for other events.

N/A

N/A

They were decent. Kyle H’s VA Dubbing & Voice Acting 101 panel on Sunday was good. Tentacles and Trash Talk Saturday night was extremely funny aside from it being cut short, and Uncle Yo’s Family Comedy was good.

N/A

Host Auction was ok this year. Masquerade was ok but I think more of Franks skits would have been fun to pass the judging time.

I didn’t know/don’t follow what series/games the majority of the characters were from, it influenced my decision as to if I should try to bid on a character.

N/A

I would have liked to see more panels/better variation of panels and more 18+ panels with an earlier start time or later ending times. I found myself having downtime until the 18+ panels started on Saturday night, I would have liked to see some different panels from 6-9 p.m. Sunday is a similar situation, aside from the Kyle H panel in the morning and Yo’s afternoon panel, there wasn’t much going on if you didn’t like Gameshows or Rock Band Idol. It might not hurt to move con feedback up to an earlier time (It was one of the reason we stuck around).

Operations
Yes, but the stage could have possibly been a foot higher for people in the back.

We had no problems, but the workshop room could have used speakers and a subwoofer (we bought our own speakers so we didn’t have a problem for the Evangelion panel) when it converted to a panels room.

Our staffer for the Evangelion panel was great, did his job well. Line management staffers before entering the panel rooms were good (for the most part). The only problem we had was staff “randomly” checked our Evangelion panel about six times, while it didn’t seem malicious, it didn’t exactly help us to keep being checked on when it wasn’t happening to other 18+ panels.

N/A

Registration
Same as every year.

Except for mailing in a check, it was pretty easy.

Online is an option that needs to be offered, I know more of my friends would pre-reg if it was available.

Public Relations
Uncle Yo - Was hilarious and would love to see him back again next year. Nice guy.
Colleen Clinkenbeard – I really didn’t get a chance to see her aside from autographs and didn’t see her around at the con. Her Saturday panel was before a major event (host club) and her Sunday panel was around lunch, both bad times for me.
Kyle Hebert – Great guy, saw him around, nice Sunday morning VA panel.
Greggo – I had the opportunity to see him before this at Zenkaikon 2011, and while he is a nice guy (briefly chatted with him) and trying his best, I don’t see myself attending any more of his gameshows. I just can’t find them interesting and I’ve seen tech problems twice in a row with Password. Kudos to Kyle H and Uncle Yo for their participation in Anime Password.
Antipode – N/A

It wasn’t bad, moving around was easy enough. Selection and variety could have been better.

Would like to see more of a push pre-con to get information out, guests announced, even small confidence inspiring updates on the website/fb/etc that things are going on in the backround. It seemed a problem this year and when someone had to ask on Facebook “Is this con happening” I’m not sure that’s a good thing.

Web
Yes, I have no problems finding my way around.

Yes except for the schedule that was posted last minute.

Yes, but they seem extremely underutilized due to lack of timely updates.

Would have liked to seen more timely updates, but I’m not sure website could have done anything about that.

Other
Yes, Dave did a great job outside the Evangelion panel. Very pleasant and easy to work with, asked us the questions we needed to be asked, let people in when it was time, sharp guy.

I honestly can’t say I found anything to be my “favorite” this year. I’ve listed some of my comments throughout the other questions for improvements.

The service at the hotel’s restaurants was much better this year. Had two delicious meals, one at the bar (lunch) and one in the restaurant (breakfast).

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:54 pm

I don't remember the questions, but here goes:

1. I didn't know u had a DeviantArt page!

2. Next year, instead of +18 stuff at night, maybe you should have a whole place for 18+ anime

3. Movies and anime for next year: Higurashi, Kiss X Sis, Interstella 5555, Digimon the Movie, Ponyo

4. host Beyblade and Bakugan tournaments.