transportation help

Feel free to poke at our staff with any questions you might have.
setsuhen

transportation help

Post by setsuhen » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:52 am

Ok so my friends that were taking me flaked and I cannot drive are there busses that'll take me if so can you link prices answed routes I cant find any >.< I'm from harrisburg btw but I'm in desperate need of transportation

daproudpinoy
Staff

Re: transportation help

Post by daproudpinoy » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:01 am

There's a Megabus that runs from Harrisburg to State College, but you can't book that far in advance yet.
The latest I can book today is for November 1st and it's $9 one-way.

Greyhound will take you from Harrisburg to State college, no transfers, for about $20 each way.

http://us.megabus.com
http://www.greyhound.com

Hope I answered your question properly.
[img]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af133/dziumi91/gifs/22449611.gif[/img]
Carl Fredrick G. Aquino

--
Setsucon 2011 Operations Director

RytoEX
Site Admin

Post by RytoEX » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:50 pm

setsuhen wrote:Ok so my friends that were taking me flaked and I cannot drive are there busses that'll take me if so can you link prices answed routes I cant find any >.< I'm from harrisburg btw but I'm in desperate need of transportation
A fellow Harrisburgite (Harrisburgian?)! Personally, I find the Greyhound station in Harrisburg to be kind of creepy, whereas the Megabus stop is at the Harrisburg Mall, which means you can get there early, get something to eat/drink if you want, and head out to the bus stop 15 minutes before departure time (the rear-upper parking lot from Macy's towards Toys'R'Us). Plus, Greyhound is typically more expensive than Megabus. For example, for November 1st (the farthest out that Megabus will let me check currently), Megabus has a $9 ticket for an 8:40AM trip and a $1 ticket for a 3:10PM trip. Greyhound, on the other hand, has tickets for 11:30AM and 2:30PM trips that range from $17-$26.50 depending on whether you want something refundable or not. Megabus also has electrical outlets and (usually) working wifi. I've never ridden on any of the new Greyhound buses, so I can't comment on those, but I haven't been disappointed by Megabus yet.

It looks like Megabus lets you see 75 days of schedule information, including the current day. If that's the case, then tickets for January 27, 2012 should become available on November 14, 2011. If you get the tickets early enough from Megabus, you can snag a $1 ticket. Well, $1.50 after processing fee, but that still beats $17, and it's also usually cheaper than the gas you'd pay for driving a car up. Unless you've got a lot of luggage/cosplay stuff to bring, I'd recommend Megabus.

But that's just my opinion. ^^;
Setsucon 2007-? General Volunteer
Setsucon 2010-2017 Assistant Webmaster
Setsucon 2011-2017 Advisor
Setsucon 2013 Vice Con Chair (and still Assistant Webmaster) ^^; orz
Setsucon 2016 Public Relations Director

crawlerkat

Post by crawlerkat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:04 pm

I highly suggest Megabus as well! I'm originally from Harrisburg, but now I'm going to school in Pitt. I've taken the bus between the two several times, and the most expensive it was came out to about 24.50, because I bought tickets 3 days before, haha. Very cozy ride, and it's over before you know it if you've got something to do with you C:

On the subject of Megabus, (and this will be easier when we have estimates of the bus schedule/get closer to the event) anyone with a car and a good heart have any interest in driving the 10 minutes or so to pick up some of us? We'll throw in a bit for gas, or possibly some free art if that's more your speed/you like our stuff, in my case! haha I may have a friend to do such, but at the moment it's still sketchy... and if more people are taking Megabus, then it'll be nice to have a few possibilities in place C:

RytoEX
Site Admin

Post by RytoEX » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 pm

Just a heads up: Megabus is now allowing tickets to be bought for Setsucon weekend. Each way is currently $9, with a booking fee of $0.50 for each transaction. They offer the following routes:

Friday January 27, 2012: Harrisburg to State College
  • Depart: 8:40AM; Arrive: 10:30AM
  • Depart: 1:40PM; Arrive: 3:30PM
  • Depart: 6:10PM; Arrive: 8:00PM
Sunday January 29, 2012: State College to Harrisburg
  • Depart: 11:15AM; Arrive: 1:15PM
  • Depart: 5:00PM; Arrive: 7:00PM
  • Depart: 8:45PM; Arrive: 10:45PM
Setsucon 2007-? General Volunteer
Setsucon 2010-2017 Assistant Webmaster
Setsucon 2011-2017 Advisor
Setsucon 2013 Vice Con Chair (and still Assistant Webmaster) ^^; orz