Cosplay contest rules and such?

Feel free to poke at our staff with any questions you might have.
fuzzybuggy1996

Cosplay contest rules and such?

Post by fuzzybuggy1996 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm

I was really wondering about a few things for the contest , becuse this will be my first year making my cosplay from scratch and i really would like to know
1.how much percentage has to be hand made , as of now im plaining to make it all from scratch except the shoes.... and im trying to figure out if i bought a tank top to be the bodice (which is the hardest part to do for me) if that would majorly effect the percentage of how much of the dress i made , which would be making the pedicoat, the over skirt the jacket and the necklace and hair pieces. i know that probably sounds like im trying to figure out a short cut or maybe sounding lazy , but i don't want to make a decision about the bodice with out knowing for sure. (it would really be horrible if i chose to use the tank top and then saw i couldn't do that and had to undo it and redo it a different way) so i hope im not bugging to much or anything i just really dont want to mess up the dress

2. My second question regarding cosplay is well im not sure if i should ask it but makeing the dress itself , should it be as accurate to the anime as possible and look cartoony or look like what it would look like ..like it would in a live action? or is it up to the person creating it? im sorry if its a bother or anything i just am unsure of it..

Silverwolf21
Staff Emeritus

Re: Cosplay contest rules and such?

Post by Silverwolf21 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 pm

Hello there, from my experiences in the cosplay world, any time you are entering a costume judging contest accuracy is key. However to address you're question about whether the costume should look cartoony or live actionish this depends on what you like best. I have seen both throughout the costuming world and it really depends on the preference of the cosplayer. As long as the costume is well executed that is what matters. So if you are making princess peach for example, I have seen the umbrella made out of a hard plastic to look shiny like it is in the video games and I have also see it made like a real umbrella. As for your other question I know what has been the case int he past but I will let a current staffer reply with the correct information. Best of luck with your costuming endeavors!
Christine Hunt
Vice Con Chair 2011

fuzzybuggy1996

Re: Cosplay contest rules and such?

Post by fuzzybuggy1996 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:04 pm

ok thanks ! ill wait for now to work on the bodice and keep working on the peti coat and jacket as much as i can (it takes awhile to sew by hand ) and that should take another week or so so ill just wait (i messed up the first time so i got to restart the peti coat ) and i geuss ill just have to wait to do the bodice till after mostly everything else thanks again for the help about cartoon looking vs real looking