Game Tournaments?

Feel free to poke at our staff with any questions you might have.
MilanaSoren

Game Tournaments?

Post by MilanaSoren » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 pm

What games are going to be in the tournaments?
Sometimes I can play hero... not today... I'm busy.

RytoEX
Site Admin

Re: Game Tournaments?

Post by RytoEX » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:39 am

Hi! I'll get this question to the Gaming Coordinator. Sorry that I don't have a ready answer, but I wanted to let you know that it's being looked into.
Setsucon 2007-? General Volunteer
Setsucon 2010-2017 Assistant Webmaster
Setsucon 2011-2017 Advisor
Setsucon 2013 Vice Con Chair (and still Assistant Webmaster) ^^; orz
Setsucon 2016 Public Relations Director

Kiederen
Staff Emeritus

Post by Kiederen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:19 pm

Hi there! I'm Kied and I'm this years Gaming Coordinator. At present we have plans for tournaments for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, Pokemon, and potentially Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; however if there are any specific games you would be interested in attending a tournament for please let us know! We're still in discussion to potentially add one or two more tournaments for different games and feedback is always welcome.

Sorry for the late response, and hope to see you there!
It cometh.
Setsucon 2015
(Gaming Coordinator)

RecklessRave

Post by RecklessRave » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Is there going to be DDR/ITG at the con this year, even if there's no tournament?

Kiederen
Staff Emeritus

Post by Kiederen » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:52 am

Regrettably, I was unable to convince our DDR/ITG people to volunteer any equipment this year (their stuff got some abuse last year and they didn't have enough people who would be available to moderate use of their equipment) so at present, no, we do not have any DDR or ITG available for this year's game room. Sorry about that.
It cometh.
Setsucon 2015
(Gaming Coordinator)

Walan

Post by Walan » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 pm

How about Rock Band (and the ever-popular Rock Band Idol tournament)? This year, I'd like see contestants be allowed to pick DLC songs from the Rock Band Store/Network, provided they pay the game room staff for the songs. Or at the very least a printed song list so nobody spends 10 minutes scrolling through the menu.

Kiederen
Staff Emeritus

Post by Kiederen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 am

I help moderate but do not run Rock Band Idol. What I have heard is that Rock Band Idol may be replaced with a new event (but in the same spirit) this year or next year, however I need to check with RBI's head guy to see if he's definitely moving forward with it this year or not. Either way, just as a warning, because of publishing deadlines, there will be the standard Rock Band Idol panel and description listed in the schedule and booklet this year however there is that chance that we will be replacing it with the new event the day of.

Besides that however, I do intend to have a rock band station in the game room though, so you will still have the opportunity to rock out. Both of those are excellent suggestions and I wish we could implement both of them however, since we are using volunteers' equipment, including xbox 360, I cannot allow the first suggestion on such short notice. This is because it would involve making use of the online subscription (which I cannot guarantee he even has) and what is effectively modifying the harddrive of a system that we, as a con, do not own, even if the changes are additions and probably improvements. Additionally, this would involve a monetary exchange with one of the staffers or myself in the game room, and while I trust all of my helpers, this kind of activity is not one that I can endorse. I believe that any monetary exchanges at the con between a con goer and a con affiliated party should only take place in the artist's alley, the dealer's room, or at the registration desk. Our volunteer has assured me that he has upwards to 250 dlc songs already downloaded so I hope you can find anything you might be looking for and I apologize in advanced if you cannot.

As for the second suggestion, I think that is a great idea and I will definitely suggest it to next year's gaming coordinator, however I cannot guarantee that such a list, extensive as it would be, can be generated in time for this year's con.
It cometh.
Setsucon 2015
(Gaming Coordinator)

Walan

Post by Walan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 pm

A new event to replace Rock Band Idol? I'll be sad to see RBI go, but I'm interested in seeing what the new event is. Thanks for answering my questions!

Kiederen
Staff Emeritus

Post by Kiederen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:09 am

Just heard back from our RBI host and he says that since there's still interest and he hasn't had time to fully develop his new event that we will indeed be sticking with Rock Band Idol this year, so look forward to it! Again, we'll do what we can to have a hard copy of the song list available however I can't promise anything this late in the game.
It cometh.
Setsucon 2015
(Gaming Coordinator)

Bernhard

Post by Bernhard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 am

Kiederen wrote:Again, we'll do what we can to have a hard copy of the song list available however I can't promise anything this late in the game.
Perhaps the song list could be made available online, so people with smartphones could access it at-con?
E. Bernhard Warg
Otaku, Whovian, Geek, Anime's Frank, Otakon Classic Track guy and OtakuGeneration segment producer